Our Mission And Principles
The Retirement Security Initiative (RSI) is a national, bipartisan advocacy organization focused on protecting and ensuring the fairness and solvency of public sector retirement plans. Our mission is to inform and educate policy leaders and the public regarding the importance of fair and sustainable public sector retirement plans, and organize and support policy development and advocacy efforts at the federal, state and local levels.
State and local governments have a responsibility to provide essential services that protect the safety, health, welfare and quality of life for all Americans;
State and local governments have an obligation to ensure that their retirement plans are sustainable, fiscally sound and responsibly managed so that all retirees and employees get paid what they have earned; and
Solutions to the funding and cost crises need to be developed with input from employees, retirees, labor, management, taxpayers and fiscal experts.
Our Reform Principles
- All workers deserve safe and secure retirements.
- Retirement plans should place employees on a path to a secure retirement, regardless of tenure.
- Retirement benefits and costs should be fair, sustainable and predictable.
- State and local governments should fully fund employee benefits, as they are earned, and incentives to underfund commitments should be eliminated.
- Unfunded liabilities should be paid down over a reasonable time period.
- Decision making and management of retirement plans should be open, transparent and non-political.
- Solutions should be designed around the specific problems and financial resources of each jurisdiction and there is no single solution that will work everywhere.